Sunday, September 13, 2015

Claire Bear

Well, we had a baby!...about three weeks ago. It's been a bit of a whirlwind, but so far we're all alive and (mostly) unscathed. Life with two kids is definitely a lot different than life with just our Em, but we love our sweet Claire and are so happy she is finally here! I've even ventured out with both girls on my own now, twice! But that's getting ahead of the good stuff.

Daniel and I woke up bright and early to make it to the hospital in time for a 7:00 AM induction. Our 'last supper' was Einstein Bagel and Starbucks and we were off! My mom had come into town the day before, so she stayed with Emma and spoiled her rotten (thank you, mom!). We got to the hospital, I got started on some pitocin around 8 AM and then we waited! Eventually I got my epidural and then we waited some more. This epidural was a lot different feeling than the one I had with Emma; my legs got super numb and it definitely helped with the contractions, but I could definitely still feel pain. I must have gotten lucky with Emma, because that epidural made me feel a whole lot of pressure but zero pain. Anyway....the nurses monitored me pretty closely because Claire's heart rate kept dropping every time I had a contraction. We tried a few different things to change her position and eventually she moved where they wanted her to be and we were good to go. Doc came in, I pushed for about two minutes, and all of a sudden Claire was here! This was around 2 PM if I remember correctly, so really this was a pretty easy labor.

Emma had a few issues and was whisked away for a few hours as soon as she was born, so it was a new experience for me to be able to hold my newborn right after labor! I just cried and cried, partly because having a non pregnant body FEELS SO GOOD, but mostly because our sweet girl was in my arms!

I just have to give a shout out to Daniel for being such a champ and taking a bunch of pictures of everything (ok not everything...). He knows how important it is to me to have photos of moments like this and did a great job of capturing everything that went on after the birth. Oh, and he was great during the whole birthing thing, too ;)












Below are a few videos of Emma meeting her sister for the first time! I'm actually pretty bitter about this moment because the lady who brought in Claire from taking a bath in the nursery decided that moment was perfect for talking with me and giving me all the instruction I could ever ask for while this special moment happened. I kept looking over longingly at the girls and she just kept on talking. And talking. And talking. I'll be honest and say I was fighting back tears the whole time and was maybe a bit grumpy for a while afterwards. And I can't even really justify being mad at the nurse, she was super nice and just doing her job, it was just the worst timing in the whole freaking world. Luckily my mom recorded it all so I could watch it all. Emma was being so funny; very interested in Claire but almost from afar. Love these two little ladies of ours!

How cute is she??? Em was SO excited to meet her little sister!

Not quite ready to give baby sis a kiss quite yet ;)

But really though, why do you want me to kiss her so badly???






I was a bit bummed because I remember the hospital with Emma's birth as being the most wonderful place on earth. I honestly didn't want to leave when it was time to go home. I remember the food was awesome, I loved all the help, and it was just so happy and relaxing. This round however, the food was not quite what I remembered (as in I sent Daniel out for food from the outside world quite a bit) and Daniel and I wanted to get home home ASAP. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the experience was so different, but then I realized our lives are completely different this time around. I was missing my sweet toddler, and while we aren't even close to being parenting gurus, this isn't our first rodeo and we didn't need to rely solely on those amazing nurses to get us through those first few days. So we went home the day after we had that sweet baby! It was just nice to be in our own bed and be home with both our girls. Of course, I immediately regretted that decision when the first night at home came and I was up until 6 am with a crying baby. Sleep deprivation stopped my brain from working for a bit and I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't stop crying when Daniel got up and wondered if maybe she was hungry because my milk hadn't come in yet. Uh, duh. So we made a quick trip to good old Wal-Mart for some formula and low and behold that sweet baby of ours was absolutely starving! She drank all she could and then slept like a little angel. And has been a little angel baby since. Seriously, we lucked out with this little sweetie. She cries when she is hungry or needs to be changed and that's about it. She is sleeping great and is a total little cuddle bug. Emma has done really well with her and they have cuddles every night in Emma's bed when we put her down. Yes, yes it is the cutest thing in the whole world. Love these little girls of ours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment